Port-sun3 archive

Re: Booting Sun3/50 Diskless from Serving PC

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, David Johnson wrote:

David,

I have been trying to get my Sun3/50 with 4M memory, 10Base2 ethernet, and diskless to boot from my equally old PC running
NetBSD3.1

I see the Sun3 rarp and get an IP address
then I see Sun3 grab the netboot file from my PC /tftpboot/C0A80264 (aka netboot)
and begin executing
Next I see some RPC calls being responded to by rpc.bootparamd where it asked for its name, the gateway address (I have it set to 192.168.0.21 the IP address of another NIC in this machine)
Then I see on my PC a request for root path

        A gateway should be an IP on the same network, so 192.168.2.X,
        though I don't think that is the issue in this case.

On the Sun3 I see the following:
Netbsd/Sun3 netboot [1.12]
using IP address 192.168.2.100 = C0A80264
netboot: try netbsd
netboot: trying netbsd.old
open netbsd.old: no such file or directory
netboot: trying netbsd.sun3
open netbsd.old: no such file or directory
filename? [netbsd]:
netboot: netbsd: loadfile failed.

my export directory has the following:
/export/sun350/root/netbsd.gz       <--- sun3 kernel
/export/sun350/swap                     <--- 8 Mbyte swap file
/export/sun350/usr <--- I'm getting a complaint from mountd about these two /export/sun350/home <--- I'm getting a complaint from mountd about these two

        If those are all on the same filesystem you should have a
        single entry in exports of the base mountpoint with -alldirs

        Is the kernel in /root/ really netbsd.gz - culd you gunzip
        it to test?

        It may also be worth confirming if boot.net is getting its
        answers via bootparams or bootp/dhcp.

        Assuming you're still not having any luck, could you:
        - Attach your bootparams file
        - Run 'tcpdump -s0 -w /tmp/tcpdump.log' during the booting
          process (best to not be doing anything else interesting on the
          net at the same time :)