Port-sun3 archive

Re: Port help wanted/needed?

Actually, there probably are plenty of places you can help, especially with a
strong admin and security background.

Some things might involve doing builds.  I know you said you were not a coder,
but I'm sure you're no stranger to running an automated build or launching a
make process to configure, build, and install an application.
If you are willing to do that, the doors are wide open.

Many of the ports run behind the i386 port even at the same release number in
some areas.  For example, i386 kernels ship with packet filtering and cgd
enabled.  Yet those types of things are not enabled, and often of unknown
status in many ports.

Back in the 1.6 days for Sun3, I had to build packet filtering into my kernel
on my own.  Even then, I found it didn't work, but only because there was no
magic number allocated for it in the kernel.  And because no one had tried it,
even MAKEDEV didn't have an entry in the script to create the device nodes.  I
submitted a patch for that and it worked great there after.  Then in the 2.0
days, I tried cgd.  Again, it wasn't enabled in the kernel, so I had to build
one.  Once i built it and added the device nodes, life was good.  It worked
great.  There was no reason, other than lack of testers, that either of those
things couldn't have been enabled in the release kernels and used by someone.

My Sun 3/80 served as a DNS cache and static web page and ftp server for my DSL
line for years quite reliably.  Unfortunately about a year and a half ago, the
hard disk went bad, and I've still not gotten around to replacing it, but that
too will happen one day.  Thusly...I don't know how the 3.x and 4.x ports stand
as I haven't had the chance to play with them lately.

Another area is pkgsrc builds.  Look at what has been done, and see what is
needed.  I've been working with the hpcmips port the last year.  Who knew that
the mesa OpenGL port actually worked.....until it was tried.

Consider also that lack of hardware need not block someone from contributing.
I've had great success using things like GXEMUL and others to run a specific
port in an emulator.  I've built the bulk of pkgsrc for hpcmips 4.0 that way.

I think if you just start "doing" you will find a niche into which you can
contribute pretty quickly.  Some of these lists are pretty quiet, but all it
takes sometimes is a newbie to wake up some of the old timers.

-S-