Re: Status of SMP on sbus machines?

Hello,

On Oct 22, 2008, at 11:59 PM, Chris Ross wrote:

On Oct 20, 2008, at 12:49, Michael wrote:
Try to reproduce it in gdb, see if there's a pattern in what triggers it in different binaries. You mentioned simple Hello World type programs triggering it - you may want to try different compiler settings ( optimization and such )

Sadly, it seems to be inconsistent based on compilation. One of the perl tests that was failing, consistently, gdb showed:

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0x0000000041502fc0 in __cxa_finalize@plt ()
from /data/obj/lang/perl5/work/perl-5.10.0/t/../lib/auto/PerlIO/ scalar/scalar
.so
(gdb) where
#0  0x0000000041502fc0 in __cxa_finalize@plt ()
#1  0x0000000041401acc in ?? ()
#2  0x0000000041401acc in ?? ()
from /data/obj/lang/perl5/work/perl-5.10.0/t/../lib/auto/PerlIO/ scalar/scalar
.so
Previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(gdb)

However, I performed a "make clean" for pkgsrc/lang/perl5, and then rebuilt it (with a simple "make"), and now it's passing it's tests. Including ones it had previously consistently failed on. Apparently, the same input to the build-chain can produce binaries that do or don't exhibit this problem.

This will be a nightmare to trace. :-( Maybe I should just swap in Ultra-II processors....

You said some hello world type programs show the problem. Can you use one of these to reproduce the problem in gdb and see if you can get a usable stack trace? This one looks bogus to me.

have fun
Michael