Re: Status of SMP on sbus machines?

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 12:23 +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd%distal.com@localhost>
> >    Still more information.  I did eventually get perl to build.
> > Actually, after the configure phase, it got much better.  And, I once
> > got it to complete configure without more than one or two crashes like
> > the above.
> >
> >    So, this morning, I tried a "make test" on the built perl.  While
> > perl is running, *it* sometimes will throw this sort of error.  I got:
> >
> > Oct 20 09:37:32 usparc /netbsd: trap: textfault at 41502fc0!! sending
> > SIGILL due to trap 16: illegal instruction
> > Oct 20 09:39:42 usparc /netbsd: trap: textfault at 41a02fc0!! sending
> > SIGILL due to trap 16: illegal instruction
> > Oct 20 09:39:44 usparc /netbsd: trap: textfault at 41a02fc0!! sending
> > SIGILL due to trap 16: illegal instruction
> > Oct 20 09:39:45 usparc /netbsd: trap: textfault at 41502fc0!! sending
> > SIGILL due to trap 16: illegal instruction
> >

> Does this happen if you try a non SMP kernel? (Just curious)

  Excellent thought.  As it turns out, if I boot a 4.99.73 GENERIC
rather than the GENERIC.MP I'd been running on, the same tests fail
running the same previously-built perl binary in pkgsrc/lang/perl5.

  So, a sparc64 problem that's not SMP related.  Perhaps there's
improper support for UltraSPARC I processors?

  Any suggestions as to what I could/should do to help track down a fix?

                           - Chris