Re: mlx on sparc?

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:

basically the whole setup looks fishy to me. mlx0 gets initialized, mlx1 not.

  It could be that mlx1 doesn't have any drives configured.  The way the
initialization messages are printed could potentially not print any
initialization message (if the controller reports a sucessful initialization the first time it's checked). The messages from mlx0 are probably because there are raid drives configured, but not present (or not the correct drives).

# mlxctl -f /dev/mlx0 -v cstatus
DAC960P/PD, 3 channels, firmware 3.51-0-09, 4MB RAM
mlxctl: cmd 0x1c failed: Operation not permitted
# mlxctl -f /dev/mlx1 -v cstatus
DAC960PG, 2 channels, firmware 4.06-0-85, 16MB RAM
mlxctl: cmd 0x1c failed: Operation not permitted
# mlxctl -f /dev/mlx0 -v config
mlxctl: cmd 0x4e failed: Operation not permitted
# mlxctl -f /dev/mlx1 -v config
mlxctl: cmd 0x4e failed: Operation not permitted

Hmm, I wonder if there might be some endian issues (sparc is big-endian if I remember correctly).

I also know that the version 2 firmware is capable of at least some of the commands, but I suspect the commands differ from the version 3 firmware, and I've never seen any documentation on the commands other than the mlx driver. I do know that OpenVMS (and Tru64) are capable of getting information from the raid controller, but I haven't been motivated to try
to reverse-engineer the SWXCRMGR program.

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant