Re: mlx on sparc?

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 10:10:55PM +0200, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:

> Now that I was donated a set of mlx boards with newer firmware ;-) I
> get the following:
>
> mlx0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: Mylex RAID (v3 interface)
> mlx0: interrupting at ivec 10
> mlx0: initializing (may take some time)...
> mlx0: physical drive 2:0 not responding
> mlx0: physical drive 2:1 not responding
> mlx0: physical drive 2:2 not responding
> mlx0: physical drive 2:3 not responding
> mlx0: logical drive installation aborted
> mlx0: initialization complete
> mlx0: DAC960P/PD, 3 channels, firmware 3.51-0-09, 4MB RAM

Seems ok, it needs a configuration (and some disks by the look of it).

> mlx1 at pci0 dev 4 function 1: Mylex RAID (v4 interface)
> mlx1: interrupting at ivec 18
> mlx1: DAC960PG, 2 channels, firmware 4.06-0-85, 16MB RAM
> ppb1 at pci0 dev 5 function 0: Digital Equipment DC21154 PCI-PCI
> Bridge (rev. 0x02)
> pci2 at ppb1 bus 2
> Distributed Processing Technology Memory Controller (miscellaneous
> memory, revision 0x02) at pci2 dev 3 function 0 not configured
>
> basically the whole setup looks fishy to me. mlx0 gets initialized,
> mlx1 not.

mlx1 has probably completed its initialization at power own, so the kernel
does not need to wait for it.

> iop0 at pci2 dev 4 function 0: I2O adapteriop0: reset rejected, status
> 0x0
> iop0: not responding (reset)
>
> And the DPT PM3755U2B controller (which is basically the
> single channel version of the SUN SRC/P controller) is not accessible
> (I have created the relevant node entries...)

The I2O code was developed with exactly this board. What dance are the LEDS
on the board doing before and after the kernel tries to reset the board?

> # mlxctl -f /dev/mlx0 -v cstatus
> DAC960P/PD, 3 channels, firmware 3.51-0-09, 4MB RAM
> mlxctl: cmd 0x1c failed: Operation not permitted
> # mlxctl -f /dev/mlx1 -v cstatus
> DAC960PG, 2 channels, firmware 4.06-0-85, 16MB RAM
> mlxctl: cmd 0x1c failed: Operation not permitted
> # mlxctl -f /dev/mlx0 -v config
> mlxctl: cmd 0x4e failed: Operation not permitted
> # mlxctl -f /dev/mlx1 -v config
> mlxctl: cmd 0x4e failed: Operation not permitted
> # iopctl showstatus
> iopctl: /dev/iop0: Device not configured

Looks like you need to drop the securelevel to -1, since the kernel won't
let you talk do disk controllers at securelevel 1 or above.

Andrew