Re: Steps to take after updating the Boot ROM?

On my SparcStation 2 I can set "hardware-revision" to any string
value (max. 15 characters, OpenBoot truncates longer values)
I fancy:

   ok printenv hardware-revision
   hardware-revision     08Sep99                        <no default>
   ok setenv hardware-revision blubb
   ok printenv hardware-revision
   hardware-revision     blubb                          <no default>
   ok

("08Sept99" is in fact the date I replaced the dead NVRAM; as
far as I remember the variable contained random garbage after
replacing the chip, reprogramming the vital bits and issuing
"set-defaults"; this makes sense, as there is no default
"set-defaults" could revert to).

AFAIK the value of "hardware-revision" is tourist information
only, so you can set it to any string you like.

BTW the same holds for the following variable "last-hardware-update"
which I guess on your system will contain garbage as well.

Georg Brein

Am 27.09.2015 um 18:27 schrieb Adrian Christiansen:

[...]
> Then it prints a special character that locks the terminal, so I don't
> know what comes next.
>
> Now I wonder how I can set the hardware-revision to something that
> doesn't lock my terminal.
>
> I have replaced the battery of the NVRAM so it should be fine. It was
> flat when I got it, and it remembers that disk0:0 is the boot device
> (which is odd, since id 3 is default).
[...]