Re: SparcStation IPC: Data Access Exception

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:23 AM, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I proceeded with the tests you requested.
>
> matthew green wrote:
>>

>> i've placed a series of /boot programs from several points between
>> netbsd-3 and netbsd-4 here:
>>
>>         ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/misc/mrg/sparc-boot/
>>
>> (we're pretty sure from previous testing that the problem was
>> introduced between netbsd 3.x and 4.x.)
>>
>> the first of these should work for you.  you'll have to re-run
>> installboot(8) after copying the new /boot into place.  (i'm
>> fairly sure you could actually copy them all into place, and
>> then just run eg:
>>
>> # installboot /dev/rsd0c /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot.388000-2005-02-26
>>
>> to enable it.
>
> It worked. It is important to put them into /
>>
>> anyone else willing to test these with their problematic systems
>> is most welcome to.  once we know which version breaks, we should
>> be able to figure out a fix.
>>
> here is my report: It was difficult to get the "first" booting, having no
> working cdrom, no floppy. I can't install from OpenBSD either I guess. I
> resorted using my resuscitated SS10 (yay! spare cable arrived and reused my
> existing HD, no wide-scsi upgrade) to install the bootblocks.
>
> Once booting, I installed them one after the other
>
> Here my report
> File:boot.388000-2005-02-26 -> boots
> File:boot.388000-2005-04-28 -> boots
> File:boot.388000-2005-06-21 -> boots
> File:boot.388000-2005-07-11 -> boots
> File:boot.388000-2005-08-15 -> boots
> File:boot.388000-2006-01-26 -> boots
> File:boot.388000-2006-11-17 -> fails!
>
> I hope this help, it took me several hours of attempts. Things are not as
> fast as it used to be on the IPC, certain things got slow (login and "su-"
> for example, as well as a certain step of the boot process itself, after
> motd).

What OBP version do you have on your SS-10?
I tried to reproduce the problem under emulation with
qemu-system-sparc (should be a bit faster than a physical SS-10), but
the problem is not reproducible: NetBSD-6.1.5-sparc.iso just boots
fine.
Is the problem reproducible when booting from a CD?
Or is my OBP version too modern? The oldest I've got is 2.10.

Artyom

--
Regards,
Artyom Tarasenko