Re: SparcStation IPC: Data Access Exception

Hi,

I proceeded with the tests you requested.

matthew green wrote:

i've placed a series of /boot programs from several points between
netbsd-3 and netbsd-4 here:

	ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/misc/mrg/sparc-boot/

(we're pretty sure from previous testing that the problem was
introduced between netbsd 3.x and 4.x.)

the first of these should work for you.  you'll have to re-run
installboot(8) after copying the new /boot into place.  (i'm
fairly sure you could actually copy them all into place, and
then just run eg:

# installboot /dev/rsd0c /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot.388000-2005-02-26

to enable it.
It worked. It is important to put them into /
anyone else willing to test these with their problematic systems
is most welcome to.  once we know which version breaks, we should
be able to figure out a fix.

here is my report: It was difficult to get the "first" booting, having no working cdrom, no floppy. I can't install from OpenBSD either I guess. I resorted using my resuscitated SS10 (yay! spare cable arrived and reused my existing HD, no wide-scsi upgrade) to install the bootblocks.

Once booting, I installed them one after the other

Here my report
File:boot.388000-2005-02-26 -> boots
File:boot.388000-2005-04-28 -> boots
File:boot.388000-2005-06-21 -> boots
File:boot.388000-2005-07-11 -> boots
File:boot.388000-2005-08-15 -> boots
File:boot.388000-2006-01-26 -> boots
File:boot.388000-2006-11-17 -> fails!

I hope this help, it took me several hours of attempts. Things are not as fast as it used to be on the IPC, certain things got slow (login and "su-" for example, as well as a certain step of the boot process itself, after motd).

Now the only way to get the disk booting again is to attach it to another system and revert the boot block to 2006-01-26 right?

If it helps fixing or you have other bootblocks to test, let me know.

Riccardo