Re: sparc wscons behavior in -current and netbsd-6

On 24 June 2012 18:52, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:19:26AM -0400, Mouse wrote:
>> > Depends if anyone can come up with a reason to keep the default to
>> > WSEMUL_SUN on sparc.  I can't, all my kernels use VT100, but that
>> > doesn't mean nobody can.
>>
>> How much does NetBSD care about compatability with historical practice
>> and/or with other OSes on the same hardware?
>
> A lot, in general. And emulation type "sun" will stay around, so if you
> prefer it, you can use it.
>
> However, in most cases the change is not user noticable, as long as the
> term type is set correctly and everything "just works".
>
> I bet you have some ASCII art games that only work with hardcoed
> TERM=sun?
>
> If there are serious reasons to keep using "sun" or "ss5" as the
> default, I will gladly modify the installation process to install a
> sparc specific wscons.conf file instead.

Providing we do not lose the ability to enable WSEMUL_SUN then I'd
like to be counted on the side of "consistent default terminal
emulation across all platforms" :)

Though I'd much prefer it if the wscons.conf and kernel options
referred to it correctly as wsvt25 with vt100 as a compatibility
alias.