Re: /etc/disktab on vax

(Cross posted to port-sparc)

On 24 June 2012 20:31, Mouse <mouse%rodents-montreal.org@localhost> wrote:
>> I hope support for my old VAX is still around when I finally get
>> around to get it running again.  Linux just removed support for some
>> of the older SPARC systems that I collect.

That would be sun4c? Linux never really ran very well on it - they did
a much better job on sun4m and later.

I would not expect NetBSD/sparc sun4c support to be an issue going forward :)

Unfortunately I had to leave my IPX in the states when I came back to
the UK, (but if anyone knows of one available). I still have my
classic, but thats a sun4m.

> In each case, support has never truly gone anywhere; old systems still
> do everything they ever did.
>
> NetBSD 1.0 (or whatever) per se might not be getting updated any
> longer, but that's hardly crippling; for many purposes, an old OS will
> do perfectly well, and for the rest, well, you - or we, for suitable
> values of "we" - can create an OS based there into which you/we pull
> whatever seems to need pulling.  I'm already doing this with 1.4T and
> 4.0.1 (550 and 112, respectively, commits since the base NetBSD version
> I started with).

Thats the joy of Open Source - you can fork and maintain whatever you want :)