Subject: Re: Will it fix the cache problems?
To: None <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-sgimips
Date: 12/14/2004 21:48:45
In article <20041214114534.197EA2356B@thoreau.thistledown.com.au>
simonb@wasabisystems.com wrote:

> At this stage, I'd suggest a new flag to add to cpu_arch in
> <mips/cpu.h>.  Maybe something like CPU_MIPS_NO_L2_ALIAS_DETECT or
> something similar?  Then replace the "mips_pdcache_ways > 1" with
> "cpu_arch & CPU_MIPS_NO_L2_ALIAS_DETECT", or possibly something like the
> other MIPS_HAS_ checks since this would only apply to MIPS4 CPUs.

Well, I'd like to get your comment for my recent post ;-)
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mips/2004/09/30/0001.html

> For now, I think we would just set this for this model SGI, and if/when
> we get another system that has an L2 with an R5000 and we get problems
> reported we could then set this for all R5000 in the cputab array in
> mips/mips_machdep.c.  If we get such a system and it works ok, we'd
> obviously leave setting the flag for just this model SGI.

Nishimura-san said "only L2-equipped R4000 is capable of emitting VCE."
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mips/2003/12/13/0005.html
On R10000, VCE is handled by hardware.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mips/2002/12/18/0001.html

Anyway, depending on VCE is not so good with current VCE
implementation, IMHO.
At least, cache flush code in mips/vm_machdep.c:cpu_lwp_fork()
is ugly as noted in the comment.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp