Re: Waiting for disks to spin up

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:54:51 +0000
Julian Coleman <jdc%coris.org.uk@localhost> wrote:

> I have a pair of identical disks in mine:
>
>   wd0: <ST3320620AS>
>   wd1: <ST3320620AS>
>
> but it is always the second that is sometimes missing.

Strange. I would have expected the first, because the second has some
more time to start up.

Or did you use the atactl(8) command to set an idle-timer in your
disk drives? Maybe the timer is set short enough to spin the drives
down during reboot? A reset will not clear the timer!

> > First I would check if satapresense() still reports the presence
> > of a spun-down drive. After that, there is already a loop which tries
> > to reset the drive ten times, with a delay of one second.
>
> I haven't had a chance to check this though.

Ok, I made an experiment with my single-drive DS-101g+:

I had set the idle-timer with atactl(8) to 10 seconds, then I reboot
the system. When U-Boot starts, I hit a key to stop autobooting and
wait until the drive spins down. Then I start altboot:

>> NetBSD/sandpoint altboot, revision 1.8 (Tue Jan 17 20:04:33 CET 2012)
>> Synology DS, cpu 265 MHz, bus 132 MHz, 64MB SDRAM
port 0 device present
wd0: <SAMSUNG HD502HI> DMA LBA LBA48 476940 MB
wd0 blk 0
wd0 blk 0
wd0: no disklabel

Is this the same effect? The drive is recognized and could be reset,
but it had not yet been able to read a block from disk. "blk 0" means:
read error, while reading block 0.

--
Frank Wille