Re: MCA PowerPC (250/41t) Documentation Scanned

While I'm not sure about writing in the format of the serial number to another ROM dump of the same machine (which is partially documented in the book I scanned), I don't see the hardware having any sort of special checks for serial numbers matching the original one (unlike modern ThinkPads, etc.). If anything writing a ROM with a different serial number would mostly matter for software licensing or if you had multiple machines on the same network. I see no reason you couldn't flash a ROM dump from another 220 on a 220 with a failed ROM just to get it working.

What I have known for a fact is that the one MCA machine I know of having a firmware update documented on IBM's FTP had only a readme file (for the 7015-R50), and a note saying to call support for the file despite being a flash rom machine. This makes me wonder if the image had to be serialized before they sent it out to the customer. Furthermore multiple MCA machines had new EPROM versions that had to be programmed with the CPU ID and Ethernet address according to the .boo files hosted on the Ardent Tool site.

Both the Hardware Technical Information - General Architectures (Chapter 4) and General Information (Chapter 6) books on Bitsavers, and the book I scanned (Chapter 13, VPD among other places) talk about this format some and how it works. Essentially the IPL EPROM checks for a checksum, board part number, EC level, serial number, and the ROM copyright/timestamp/part number. If the data is not there or the checksum is bad it fails POST with code 211. Judging by the what's in the .boo documents, I'm sure these ROMs also include a MAC address.

As for the ROM, I've dumped the ROM of my 7006-41t (a very similar machine to the 250) if anyone wants to poke around. I'm almost certain that if you just take an EPROM dump of your machine and write out another ROM chip when the old one gives you checksum errors, it'll work. Easily visible in a text editor or hex editor as a string is the part number, copyright, and the VPD header showing some of the same things marked in the book. The video ROM for the GXT150L also has a VPD header with a similar structure.

https://archive.org/details/700641tfw

Jake