Re: Er, don't try this at home

Andrew Cagney <cagney%mac.com@localhost> writes:

I'm finding the following sequence (NetBSD localhost 1.5Y NetBSD 1.5Y
(NETLUX) #0: Sat Oct 27 21:19:01 EDT 2001):

o       start netscape (from Linux/PPC)
o       try to quit netscape (it doesn't quite quit)
o       kill netscape (using top)

is, er, fatal.  Anyone else see this?  Kernel has: TiG4, reverted wi0,
NEWPMAP but otherwise a very vanilla current kernel.

I haven't seen this at all on by iBook, and I use Netscape quite a
bit. Ordinairly, I can quit just fine, but when it wedges, I go and
kill it (from the command line, though I really hope that doesn't
matter), and it doesn't hose the system.

I'm also using NEWPMAP, and -current, on a system with 384M. The only
obvious difference is G4 vs. G3.

Just FYI, I showed the paniced kernel to MRG who passed it down the line, the suspect is altavec. (But it shouldn't panic the kernel anyway :-)

Andrew