Re: NetBSD-Mach?

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Wolfgang Solfrank wrote:

> > The 601 is a different-enough chip to make it a little harder.  My
> > understanding of the 601 is that it was a "time to market" sort of
> > thing, and that the differences between the 601 to 603 or 604 are
> > analogous to the differences between the 68020 and the 68040 or 68060.
>
> While I don't know too much about the 68040 and 68060, I think the difference
> between the 601 and the newer PowerPCs is a bit greater.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the '040 had built-in PMMU
(different than that on the '030-- more features), additional cache
control, separate instruction and data caching, and built-in FPU.  It's
somewhat analagous to the 386 to 486 difference.  As far as the '060, I
thought it was RISC-based and had an entirely different instruction set
then the 000-040 chips.

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy                <h1><blink>I hate Netscape!
SQL/Perl/Java/HTML/C++ programmer  http://www.itlabs.umn.edu/~pett0019/
pett0019%gold.tc.umn.edu@localhost, pett0019%itlabs.umn.edu@localhost,
rpetty%future.i5.com@localhost