Re: problem with starting X in -current.

matthew green wrote:

>> I also tried current from nyftp HEAD/latest. It hangs! So I cannot
>> test Xorg. Did this kernel really work for you?
>>
>> It hangs after configuring fwohci0, ieee1394if0, uhub0 and uhub1. Then
>> follows "Kernel PGM trap @ ...".
>> The backtrace from the kernel debuger shows:
>>   idle_loop
>>   cpu_lwp_bootstrap
>
> i haven't tried those kernels, but my own ones work OK mostly
> as long asi don't start X :-)

I just debugged that. Seems that a friendly developer had the idea to insert
the Altivec-only instruction "dssall" into the cpu_idlespin() function
(during 2017). It crashes my G3, so you have certainly a G4.

I will discuss that with him. Probably the solution will be to add an
  if (cpu_altivec)
there.

Then I might be able to check your X-server issue. :)

--
Frank Wille