re: problem with starting X in -current.

Frank Wille writes:
> matthew green wrote:
>
> > actually, it hangs on _todays_ netbsd-8.  i'll try netbsd 8.0
> > release kernel -- nope, the netbsd-GENERIC in the 8.0 ofppc
> > release hangs the same :-(
>
> Cannot confirm that. 8.0 GENERIC works here (also Xorg from 8.0beta
> userland). Where does it hang?

it hangs when starting X itself.

> I also tried current from nyftp HEAD/latest. It hangs! So I cannot test
> Xorg. Did this kernel really work for you?
>
> It hangs after configuring fwohci0, ieee1394if0, uhub0 and uhub1. Then
> follows "Kernel PGM trap @ ...".
> The backtrace from the kernel debuger shows:
>   idle_loop
>   cpu_lwp_bootstrap

i haven't tried those kernels, but my own ones work OK mostly
as long asi don't start X :-)

   NetBSD 8.99.30 (_pegi_) #8: Fri Jan  4 01:25:24 PST 2019

> > there are the old and the new drivers.  the new one ONLY supports
> > DRM with KMS, so it's so far is only useful for x86.
>
> But... for that reason I would expect that DRM/KMS drivers won't be part of
> the xserver.tgz release for any other port than i386 or amd64?

right.

> Or does "so far" mean that it is planned to make those drivers useful for
> all ports, even with restrictions (like hardware-accelerated GL, etc.)?

well, it would be nice if the drm code work elsewhere.  the
old radeon driver is abandonware now, so we have to maintain
it ourselves.

> > last time i tried to make the old driver work on amd64 it was
> > more effort than i could remember how to do. :-(  i was able
> > to get X started, but not anything like Xvideo or GL.
>
> So it was only a dumb frame buffer? Ok, Xvideo would be nice, but I have
> never seen GL working on any of my NetBSD machines anway. ;)

i forget.  i was just trying to have a working hdmi-output on
my old laptop, where drm2 (in -7, -8, or -current) crashes when
i plug into the hdmi port and i can't figure out why (something
is corrupted, and a later fault is seen.)