Re: NetBSD 8.0 hang on RS/6000 43p-150 (7043-150)

Chris Hanson wrote:

On 03.01.19 20:23:44 you wrote:

> I realize (now...) that the 7043-150 isn't in the supported systems
> list but I figured I'd give it a try.

I have no RS/6000 hardware myself and I don't remember the reasons why some
models were not supported. The hardware doesn't look special at all.

> With an 8.0 release CD, the
> kernel starts but hangs in OpenPIC (transcribed, please forgive any
> errors):
>
>   OpenPIC Version 1.1: Supports 4 CPUs and 16 interrupt sources.

Interrupts will not be established at OpenPIC initialization, so I guess it
hangs while starting to scan the OFW PCI bus.

> I can put images on floppy and attempt to boot them if anyone wants to
> poke at it. I could also set up a system for building ofppc if people
> just want to propose tweaks for me to try either atop the netbsd-8
> branch or current.

You should do the latter, if you're interested. You only need a working
NetBSD system for kernel compilation. Then download the 8.0 source, build
the cross compilation tools, build the kernel. It's really easy to do. Ask
here if you need help.

Then you should be able to do some first debugging yourself. Don't expect
that others do that for you, when they don't own the hardware. :)
I would start looking in: src/sys/arch/ofppc/pci/ofwpci.c

For a start insert a printf() before and after init_ofppc_interrupt() to see
whether the OpenPIC initialization returned. If that worked move the
printf() further down in the function, until you can locate the region were
it hangs. For example pci_configure_bus() would be my next guess. Finally
config_found_ia() starts the auto-configuration of all PCI devices on the
ofwpci bus.

Good luck!

--
Frank Wille