Re: Current hangs at boot

On Mon, 12 May 2008 10:48:31 -0700 (MST)
Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost> wrote:

> I dunno.. I updated my sources saturday (just after the crypto
> import) and I've test booted the resulting kernel and ofwboot from
> that on my Pegasos II, my 7044-270, and your 7046-B50, and all seemed
> to work.  (Tested them about 2 minutes ago)
Strange. The 43P-150 is the same planar (mainboard in IBM speak) as the
B50. The only differences are the PCI riser card and the enclosure.
Maybe a firmware issue? The firmware in my -150 is quite old.

> So either I have uncommitted code in my repository (I don't think I
> do), you do, or you caught it on a bad day?
I retried with updated source from Monday night and it still doesn't
work. I checked in the cvs log for modified code, nothing.

> You said you tried it on a 150 and a 170..  I don't think I've tried
> those before, though I really do expect them to work.  Can you hook
> them up to your remote console thingie, or try the kernel/ofwboot I
> booted your 7046 with?
I tried your kernel on my machines and got the same result: hang. I
added a -170 to the remote console machine on port 2006. Powering it up
is a bit strange. Connect to the console with telnet. This switches
power on. Wait a few seconds until the service processor is up. Then
press return to get the service processor menu. You can power up the
machine from there. To power down the machine you have to exit telnet.

I haven't played much with the service processor. Maybe you know this
thing better from your 270? Is there a way to break from the console to
the service processor while the machine is running.

> Maybe something is slightly odd about the 150/170?
The -150 and -170 are entirely different machines. (PPC 604e vs. POWER
II)
--

tsch__,
       Jochen