Re: Current hangs at boot

On 14-May-2008 Jochen Kunz wrote:
> Strange. The 43P-150 is the same planar (mainboard in IBM speak) as the
> B50. The only differences are the PCI riser card and the enclosure.
> Maybe a firmware issue? The firmware in my -150 is quite old.

It's possible. One thing at a time though, I'll try the 170 first.

> I tried your kernel on my machines and got the same result: hang. I
> added a -170 to the remote console machine on port 2006. Powering it up
> is a bit strange. Connect to the console with telnet. This switches
> power on. Wait a few seconds until the service processor is up. Then
> press return to get the service processor menu. You can power up the
> machine from there. To power down the machine you have to exit telnet.
>
> I haven't played much with the service processor. Maybe you know this
> thing better from your 270? Is there a way to break from the console to
> the service processor while the machine is running.

Yeah, thats how most of the POWER3/POWER4 series service processors work.  You
can power them up, but not down.  You can get back to the service processor by
issuing a powerdown from the OS via rtas.  (Basically, a 270/170 never fully
powers off, its allways watching the serial port for someone to hit enter and
bring up the menu)

>> Maybe something is slightly odd about the 150/170?
> The -150 and -170 are entirely different machines. (PPC 604e vs. POWER
> II)

Yeah, I meant 150 vs B50 and 170 vs 270.

---
Tim Rightnour <root%garbled.net@localhost>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/