Re: 1.6 Release on Powerstack II

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:39:42PM +0100, Joerg Anton wrote:

> > I figured out that PCI config read / write
> > stuff today, now I have to implement it...
[It is done now, heading for...]

> > Other nice things as
> > interrupt handling are still waiting for me.
> > So there is somthing going on, but it will take some
> > time to finish.
> Ok, there are many things to do.
Well it is not that much. Most things like OpenFirmware interface are
already there and working (more or less ;-) ). Most time, say 90%,
I am trying to understand what is going on, how the hardware and
especially NetBSD kernel internas work.  The actual work is only
10% of coding. Look at the firepower code. It is 1873 lines of code,
including lots of "generic" stuff like #define REGISTER 0xf.

> First I think, we need the PCI controller, the PCI to
> ISA bridge and interrupts working.
> Is a documentation from the motherboard available ?
The machine is based on the IBM27-82660 chipset. The user's manual is
on IBMs web site somwhere as 82660_um.pdf. Maybe the Linux kernel source
can be an additional help, as the Penguin already runs on this machine.
But I found the chipset user's manual more helpfull.

> Is there a list of devices we must support?
If we have a working PCI attachment, all PCI devices will work automagicly.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen