Re: Cannot boot installer on PowerBook6,8

On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Sevan Janiyan <venture37%geeklan.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
> On 03/12/2017 21:08, Julio Merino wrote:
>> That's good to know. This reports:
>>
>> Apple PowerBook6,8 4.9.0f0 BootROM built on 01/10/05 at 10:39:14
>>
>> What about yours? Just trying to rule factors out.
>
> Apple PowerBook6,4 4.8.3f1 BootROM built on 04/01/04 at 16:52:06
>
>> Did you recently install the system or have you just been going
>> through upgrades over time?
>
> Just been going through upgrades using a burnt CDRW.
>
> Last month I obtained a PowerBook5,3 (15" FW-800) which I'm running
> 8.0_BETA on.

Ah, that makes me think I was claiming the wrong thing at first: I'm
not trying to install -current; I'm trying to install 8.0_BETA!

> I generally use this method to set thing up:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2017/07/07/msg002425.html
>
> But in the case of the 8.0_BETA install, I'm currently solely boot
> NetBSD and have things on a 32GB USB flash drive. Again, no issue.
>
> I'm using ofwboot.xcf in all cases.
> I boot from a CD to install using
> boot cd:,\OFWBOOT.XCF;1

I ended up burning the installation ISO onto a DVD... and no luck
either :-( Things got a bit further more consistently though: the full
kernel seems to be loaded instead of ofwboot just bailing out early,
but I think I've observed the same earlier in some attempts from USB.
I've also tried with a 7.1 ISO which showed the same problems... and
I'm now downloading even older versions to try.

Just now, I've just a try to OpenBSD 6.2. It gave me trouble from a
USB drive, but the installer booted just fine from the CD...

--
Julio Merino -- http://julio.meroh.net/