Re: installing on a g5

On 04/17/14 00:23, Matt Thomas wrote:

On Apr 16, 2014, at 3:04 PM, Christian Groessler
<chris%groessler.org@localhost> wrote:

On 04/15/14 23:18, Matt Thomas wrote:
On Apr 15, 2014, at 11:54 AM, Christian Groessler
<chris%groessler.org@localhost> wrote:

My machine has 3.5GB RAM.
NetBSD won't like that much ram.  Make sure that at most 2GB is made available.

I've removed 2GB and it still hangs.

I've digged a little bit further, and it crashes in
sys/dev/rasops/rasops8.c(rasops8_putchar12)
when it does the first assignment to rp[0]. rp is 0xa00a8004 and ri->ri_bits is
0xa0009e04.

I assume ri->ri_bits should point to the frame buffer. How do I check if this
address is correct?
Sounds like a mapping for the framebuffer is missing from the kernel pmap

Could be. I didn't find where the frame buffer is mapped (but I didn't search
too hard), so
I just disabled the function by letting it return without doing something.

Now it hangs in sys/arch/powerpc/oea/pmap.c, line 3412, where it executes the
instruction

        __asm volatile ("mtsrin %0,%1"
                      :: "r"(KERNELN_SEGMENT(i)|SR_PRKEY), "r"(i <<
ADDR_SR_SHFT));

In case it's relevant, I didn't mention that this is a 2-processor machine.
I've installed Linux on it and here's the output of /proc/cpuinfo:

[g5:~]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : PPC970, altivec supported
clock           : 2000.000000MHz
revision        : 2.2 (pvr 0039 0202)

processor       : 1
cpu             : PPC970, altivec supported
clock           : 2000.000000MHz
revision        : 2.2 (pvr 0039 0202)

timebase        : 33333333
platform        : PowerMac
model           : PowerMac7,3
machine         : PowerMac7,3
motherboard     : PowerMac7,3 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 336 (PowerMac G5)
pmac flags      : 00000000
L2 cache        : 512K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld