Re: installing on a g5

Hi again,

On 03/13/14 00:03, Christian Groessler wrote:
I'm trying to install -current on a dual PowerMac G5 which was recently given to me.

ofwboot.xcf seems to crash before it starts to load the kernel. I found a similar problem in the archives (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2009/09/27/msg000876.html)
but there was no response to this message.

I've tried the latest ofwboot.xcf as well as older ones lying around over here, but I always get the same crash, which is described in the message cited above. For the different ofwboot.xcfs the SRR0 values are slightly different which I interpret as the crash address.

http://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/models.html cites G5 PowerMacs as being supported,
so what is wrong?

Am I missing a OF setting I need to make or something?

Hmm, no response. Is this list still alive?

I did some research, and ofwboot.xcf crashes in sys/lib/libsa/loadfile_elf32.c, function loadfile().
It tries to load the kernel to address 0x100000.

I've added a line of code to write something to 0x100000 just before the READ() call,
with a printf before and after.

The printf before appears, but not the printf after. So it seems that address 0x100000
is not writable (or present).

dev /openprom
.properties

reports Openfirmware 4.

So it looks like Openfirmware 4 is not supported. Is this correct?

regards,
chris