Re: DFS speed control on netbsd-5 (and netbsd-6 issues)

Hi,

I can certainly submit a pullup - presumably this would be for:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2010/10/20/msg013793.html
and
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2010/12/05/msg015479.html

I've just tried to build a GENERIC kernel with the pullup - if someone
would like to test its at:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/abs/macppc/GENERIC-netbsd-5-plus-cpu_speed.bz2

I just booted that kernel on this 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4:

NetBSD 5.2_STABLE (GENERIC) #0: Wed Aug 21 23:57:31 BST 2013

abs%cerberus.social-events.net@localhost:/opt/netbsd/5/sys/arch/macppc/compile/obj/GENERIC
cpu0 at mainbus0: 7447A (Revision 1.1), ID 0 (primary)
cpu0: HID0 8450c0bc<EMCP,EICE,NAP,DPM,ICE,DCE,SGE,BTIC,FBIOB,ABE,BHT>,
powersave: 1
cpu0: 1504.64 MHz, 512KB L2 cache no parity parity enabled

However, I see no sysctl for speed:

sysctl -a | grep speed
hw.fwmem.speed = 2
hw.sbp.max_speed = -1
hw.spdmem0.speed = 333
hw.spdmem1.speed = 333

And the speed is 750 MHz (calculating 1,000,000 primes takes 39 seconds compared with 19 seconds on a 1.5 GHz 7447a Mac mini).

I tried some other patches which I thought were tested with netbsd-5 from here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-powerpc/2010/10/15/msg003002.html

but while I have a machdep.cpu_speed (which defaults to zero), any attempt to write to it locks up the laptop, so apparently I've applied the wrong patches. I'll look into it more tonight.

Do we have a PR for the netbsd-6 / current issues?

Good question. We have plenty of discussion about the problems. Three problems are summarized by Donald Lee here:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2013/07/08/msg001958.html

I personally loaded netbsd-6 onto a Mac mini, saw it crash twice in a week, read about those issues and went with netbsd-5. My PowerMac 9600 was in heavy use with netbsd-5 and had two years of uptime. A system that crashes twice a week isn't usable comparatively.

I don't think anyone made any PRs, though. Donald?

John