Re: Mysterious lockups

At 11:55 PM +0000 3/30/13, Valery Ushakov wrote:
>Donald Lee <MacPPC2%c.icompute.com@localhost> wrote:
>> At 5:22 PM +0000 3/30/13, Valery Ushakov wrote:
>>
>>>Next time it hangs you can break into DDB from console and check with
>>>ps (ddb command, not ordinary command; see ddb(4)).  I've seen such
>>>lockup once on my newly installed mini g4 when I was copying over
>>>several cvs trees from the old machine.
>>
>> Console does not respond (aside from the first CR, sometimes).
>> I don't think I can use ddb.  I'll read the man page......  Thanks
>
>Press Ctrl-Alt-Esc on the console keyboard to break into ddb.  It
>should work on tstiled machine even when normal console input isn't.
>IIRC, NetBSD 6 should have the necessary fixes for USB keyboard to be
>usable with ddb.
>
>-uwe

I have seen this hang several times lately on my production server.
The keyboard is non-responsive, and I can't log in at that point,
but ping still works.

The ctrl-alt-esc does break into the debugger.  At that point I
can do ddb things, but I'm not familiar enough with ddb to get much
useful information.

Can I get some pointers on what to do to gather up some sort of dump or
debug information to hep fix this?  I can probably reproduce this problem
at will (on my production server).

Unfortunately, I have tried pretty hard to reproduce this on another
machine, and I can't make it fail.  The machines are both G4 towers
of similar vintage.  The production machine has a CPU upgrade, though,
which could be a key factor.

Thanks in advance,

-dgl-