Re: Problems with extra packages on -current?

> Finally getting back to poking at macppc stuff.  Currently running
> 6.99.17 from 20130215 or thereabouts, but there's things I've noticed
> since about 6.99.11.
>
> First, compiling large packages, namely lang/perl5, fails with the
> following message:
>
> [...]
> Processing SpecialCasing.txt
> Processing LineBreak.txt
> Processing EastAsianWidth.txt
> panic: memory wrap at lib/unicore/mktables line 9980, <$file_handle>
> line 7591.
> *** Error code 25
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /var/tmp/pkgsrc/lang/perl5/work/perl-5.16.2
> *** Error code 1
> [...]
>
> The "panic" message must be from perl's build system as the system
> stays up.

Yup.

> 'ulimit -a' shows:
>
> 1040 [sysop@bondi:~]$ ulimit -a
> time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
> file(blocks)         unlimited
> coredump(blocks)     unlimited
> data(kbytes)         262144
> stack(kbytes)        2048
> lockedmem(kbytes)    82488
> memory(kbytes)       247464
> nofiles(descriptors) 128
> processes            160
> threads              160
> vmemory(kbytes)      unlimited
> sbsize(bytes)        unlimited
>
> Although this is on my 256MB iMac, I've had the same problem on my 1GB
> G4 Powerbook.  I forget what I did to work around the problem now, but
> I'm pretty sure unlimiting one of the above items was involved.

I saw this problem on my PPC Mac Mini as well; what I did (if
memory serves), was to increase the data segment limit to 768M.

It can probably be argued that failing in this way is a bug, and
that bumping into the data segment resource limit should elicit
a better error message.

As for the other problems you mention, I'm sorry that I don't
have a suggestion for the root cause of the problem.

Best regards,

- Håvard