Re: original iMac problems

On Thu, 5 Jul 2012, Michael wrote:

On Jul 5, 2012, at 4:29 PM, John D. Baker wrote:
Similar to what's shown here:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2010/10/02/msg001160.html

Update:  On a -current system, instead of black, the bottom 3/4 of the
screen turns blue, such that the OF and early kernel messages are still
visible.  The top 1/4 of the screen is mostly alternating blue/white
vertical stripes with some phase changes as it approaches the lower
boundary.  The left-most 1/4 of this strip has more/wider white area
than blue and exhibits scintilating hash that presumably represent
the remaining output during boot.

What happens if you start X and exit immediately? Does that result in
a readable console with machfb? I bet it's something fairly trivial
which would be easy to fix if I could just reproduce it.

From cold start, dropping into userconf to disable atabus, logging
in blind and typing 'startx'.

There's a flash of white at the right edge of the top 1/16 of the screen.
The screen goes completely black for a few seconds, then displays an
in-sync pattern of hash like art-deco fabric--very purple.  There's a
black band across the screen about 1/8 the way down about 3/8 screen
height.  There's a rectangle of grey hash almost 1/4 screen high and
1/2 screen wide located 1/8 screen from the left.

The X cursor never appears.  The keyboard is unresponsive at this
point.  I can log in via ssh and terminate X (had to use -9), but
nothing further can be done from the console.

As observed while using genfb, when running diskless (NFS root), the
machine is stuck on reboot printing:

  nfs_timer: ignoring error 49

endlessly after unmounting all non-root filesystems.  Attempting to drop
into DDB with Ctrl-Alt-ESC causes the machine to rapidly spew more
messages too fast to read and reboot immediately.