Re: Booting original G3 iMac?

Hello,

On Tue, 29 May 2012 11:07:11 +0200 (CEST)
Jarle Greipsland <jarle%uninett.no@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 00:03:02 -0600 (CST) in port-macppc John D. Baker writes:
> > I've finally been able to get back to this...
> [ ... ]
> > It then goes on to attach scsibus0 at mesh0 and then seems to hang
> > forever waiting for the non-existent SCSI devices to settle.
> >
> > So the next iteration, I disabled mesh as well.  The last message on
> > the display then was something about "bio <something>..."  and it just
> > sat there like that.  I'd run out of time (and consciousness) by
> > then, though...
> >
> > I'll try again as soon as I can (and try to post results more
> > promptly so they won't be from weeks-old memory...)
> Hi,
>
> did anyone find a solution to this problem?  I recently tried to
> resurrect an old G3 iMac Bondi Blue and dropped in a -current
> GENERIC kernel, and it exhibited the exact behavior described
> above, i.e. the last thing printed on the display was a message
> about "scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle".  And
> then nothing more.  Any suggestions as to what I should try?

I think I said this before, but do you have fwohci in your kernel?
It's known to hang indefinitely on some Apple hardware ( like G3
PowerBooks, which is why it doesn't attach there ) although it
used to work on at least 1st generation iMacs and does work
on G4 hardware. The symptoms would be exactly what you
describe - the driver hangs while scanning for firewire devices,
which happens just after that message.

have fun
Michael