Re: Netbooting a blue and white G3

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 7:06 PM, T. M. Pederson
<tmp+nbpmp%disfinite.org@localhost> wrote:
> As I understand it, the installer was written in the days of OF 2. And
> while it works well with OF 1 & 2 systems, it's not readily adaptable
> to OF 3, as the disk preparation is entirely different. In short, for
> OF 3, new disk preparation functionality needs to be written.
>
> OpenBSD came late to macppc, and started with OF 3.
>
>> Like I said, if I find an easier way, I'll try to write something for
>> the FAQ. I don't know enough about Macs to know if what I'm doing is
>> only specific to the blue and white G3 or not.
>
> It's not. It's about the same as what I've run into on OF 3 machines in
> general.

Finally I don't feel crazy anymore :)

This is a very simple explanation of the problem, and I really think
this needs an FAQ entry something like:

Why doesn't the install CD or install kernel create a bootable NetBSD
environment with OF3 machines?

Or something.

The next thing I'm going to try is to lay out the disk similar to
OpenBSD, hopefully with only the install CD or kernel, and then run
the installer with a previously set up disk (MS-DOS partition as the
first partition, then NetBSD stuff after that), then after the install
is done, copy the ofwboot.xcf to the MS-DOS partition and see what
happens. This is the best option for people who don't want to run OSX
I think.

I'll give it a shot shortly.

Andy