Re: macppc requests/needs

Really?  That's confusing!

From wapbl(4):

 WAPBL requires the super block to be in the UFS2 format.  The super block
 format can be checked using the -s option with dumpfs(8), and older FFSv1
 file systems will need to be updated to the newer super block layout with
 the -c option to fsck_ffs(8).

So, there is such a thing as a FFSv1 with a super block in UFS2 format?
From this description, I was under the impression that updating the file
system's super block layout _IS_ converting it to FFSv2.

Could someone please explain the difference between a FFSv2 and an
FFSv1-with-UFS2 superblock, and what advantages FFSv2 has over this?
A friendly pointer to relevant documentation would of course be very
welcome too.

To tell you the truth, I don't know the details, but I can say that I'm happily booting off of (perhaps previously) FFSv1 filesystems with the "log" option in fstab on macppc, amiga, mac68k, cobalt, hpcsh, hpcarm, and others.

I thought that a newfs with "-O 2" created a v2 filesystem which (perhaps used to) have booting issues. I'll be interested to hear clarifications.

Thanks,
John