Re: severely bad timekeeping

I found some notes in my logbook for my older machines.

The clock "base frequency" is based on the "timebase-frequency" in OF.

I saw this same kind of time drift with the 7600+G3-upgrade combination,
and fixed it by adding the following to open firmware:

        setenv boot " /PowerPC,604" select-dev A7D8c0 encode-int "
timebase-frequency" property boot

The "timebase-frequency", as I recall, is not something that is in the NVRAM,
so you can't just change it.

I had to do several newtonian iterations to get this close to correct before
NTP would work.  When the drift is too large, NTP gets very unhappy,
and just gives up.

The calculation that I used was to simply take the percent time drift and
multiply the "0xA7d8C0" constant by the error.  This got me pretty close.
The default, as I recall, was something "round", like 0xA80000.

There is more info in and around the following list thread:

        http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2000/03/14/0012.html

Enjoy,

-dgl-