Re: startx > xauth - bad display name error

Bryan Pierce wrote:
Bryan Pierce wrote:
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

       # startx
I get this message...

The problem is startx, I think.  Looking at the script, it's using the
output of 'hostname' as something to feed to xauth.  Per a previous
post by Bryan -- and it's on my list to reply to -- he doesn't have a
local host name.  Try setting it to 'localhost', which will at least
keep xauth happy.

I finally got this far!!!

One giant step accomplished! One small step closer to getting startx to work!!!

I don't know exactly what I changed...but I got to a message saying it couldn't create raw key code for my keboards...or something like that, and suggested adding

       options "Protocol" "wskbd"
       options  "Device" "/dev/wskbd"

And that worked!!!
So then it gave me an error...

       /dev/wsmouse could not be loaded...Device busy

So then I went back to my rc.conf, where I had previously selected...
       xfw=YES
       xmd=YES
wscons=YES wsmouse=YES // <== and I changed this to NO

And when I restarted...I had what looked like a block of tiny screens about 1" tall running across the bottom
of my screen...amd you could see like little lines when I move my mouse

So it seems like it is really trying to work!! I flipped the above variables all to NO...rebooting and ran startx, and got the same ribbon running across the bottom of my screen, but in color (just red and black)

I'll go back and play with my hsync and vsync values...(seems the first logical thing)... But if anyone has any ideas...or suggestions on how I should have these variables set...

It would be once again, really appreciated!!

Thanks again for your help!! :D

Bryan