Re: startx > xauth - bad display name error

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:35:13 -0500 (CDT)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> wrote:

       # startx
I get this message...

Usually that error is because the name is not in DNS. It doesn't know "myComputer.myDomain.dom". Use a real name in real working DNS, or
add to local /etc/hosts.

Is that bogus name assigned by DHCP?

The problem is startx, I think.  Looking at the script, it's using the
output of 'hostname' as something to feed to xauth.  Per a previous
post by Bryan -- and it's on my list to reply to -- he doesn't have a
local host name.  Try setting it to 'localhost', which will at least
keep xauth happy.

I'm not sure what "it" or "'localhost'" is, but I tried
   hostname = ""        # in my rc.conf

I've seen this error in my searches, and there are actually a few more error and "it" terminates
quicker

       xauth: (argv):1: bad display name ":0" in "list" command

I noticed a log file and scanned it and found a couple warnings

       (WW) xf86EnableIO 5
       (II) xf86EnableIO: ffffffff
       (WW) Can't Map IO space

Then it goes into a PCI scan section, and before the fatal error, it seems like the ATI Rage settings load OK (appears complete, but it is right before the fatal error, which is....

       (II) Primary Device is  PCI 00:12:0
       (--) Assigning section with no bus ID to primary device
       (EE)  No  Devices Detected.

       Fatal Server Error:
       no screens found

There are the exact same errors whether is set hostname to a bogus name or an empty string.

At first I thought maybe it was looking from my monitor or video card set-ups, stored maybe in a file somewhere on my computer. I would be willing to try the "localhost" thing, but I don't
know what a "localhost" is (or at least what NetBSD thinks a "localhost" is)

And the same with
      stty erase '^h'
actually it seems like I have to type this everytime I su to root.
Is there a way to make this more permanant... (I've seen some
terminal settings in the rc.conf...but nothing that popped out at
me as possibly fixing this)
Put in startup dot file, like .profile and/or .login.

What about xterms?  For me, when I'm in X the backspace key just works,
but it also just works on the console, so I haven't worried about it.
(Well, not always, but close enough.)

On a happier note...
   usermod -s /usr/pkg/bin/bash root
quickly fixed my backspace and uparrow problems :D

(I'm not sure why I have to type the complete pathway, since /usr/pkg/bin should be in my
PATH, but I'm not complaining ;-)
Also adding
   stty erase '^H'
to my /root/.login file did not work (Thomas Edison would be proud - there's one more thing
I know doesn't work ;-)

Cheers!

Bryan Pierce