Re: Near successful iMac G3 Install

Michael Lorenz wrote:

The screen resolution is...well...the terminal text is in pretty large letters and especially with vi, the lines don't seem to be wrapping right. (and the text seems to be... like fading out of
existence towards the right side of the screen).
So I'm wondering if my display resolution settings need to be changed to fix this. (i.e. the monitor seems to be set to 600x480 but the system is trying to display a higher resolution)

We inherit whatever mode OpenFirmware set up - change resolution in MacOS and it should stick with OpenFirmware. Otherwise, check what methods are defined on your graphics controller's device node in OpenFirmware, there might be support for changing video modes.

Otherwise, you can build a kernel with a different console font built in.

have fun
Michael
That did the trick!! Actually, all I had to do was pop a OS 9 Install CD, and it automatically changed
the resolution to 800x600.
That is sooooooo..... much better!!!!    Thanks very much!!!

So I've got a clean installation now; however, I've been trying to get the network connections to work for a couple of long evenings, mostly to take advantage of the installer saving the set-ups in the system. I've been trying everything and nothings working, and have made a couple of posts in the NetBSD-users list,
so I won't get into details here, but...

* The hardest thing is figuring out Domain Name and Host Name because I've just got a home coputer connected to cable internet via a router and a gateway box * I'm pretty sure I've got the IP, subnet mask, router IP right. I'm also using my ISP's name server IP
              and feel confident that that's right.
* I can interupt the installer and ftp to ftp.netbsd.org fine, as long as I enter an IP # rather than domain name. So I believe that if I can get the system resolving DNS names, everything should work. (that also tells me that my network connection is not the problem)

* I also know that I can '^z' to interrupt installer, to execute shell commands, and pretty much expect
               that I will have to, to get the network install to work.

Thanks again!!!

Best Regards!!
Bryan