Re: Near successful iMac G3 Install

Hello,

On Jun 17, 2008, at 20:09, Bryan Pierce wrote:
Hello everyone!!

Woohoo!!! It's been a bit of a challenge getting BSD installed. So it feels good to especially good to be here! I'm trying to learn Unix/Linux because
I believe it will be a great way to learn structured programming.

It seems like NetBSD should be an excellent choice. The documentation
on the NetBSD is incredible. So I am very happy to be here and look
forward to hopefully getting to know everyone here a little bit over time.

At first, I thought my questions would be pretty simple and basic, but it now seems that I've got quite a few smaller questions, and I'll probably have
a few more by the time I'm done.

My biggest questions are
       (1) what tools or editors do I use to edit the
/etc/rc file (perhaps if I can get into multi-user mode some familiar text
editors will appear

/etc/rc.conf is what you probably want to change and the base install comes with vi.

        (2) is there a way easy or better way to install the
ofwboot.xcf bootloader files onto (they either were not installed - or if it did
the name got garbled)

I can't parse this - uh - sentence. What exactly is the problem?

### I've made it at least 98% of the install process, but the system would
failed to reboot without a bit of nudge
- there seems to be NO ofwboot.xcf file on the HFS+ partition that was created for it

Well, if you didn't put it there it won't be there.

       - Able to boot using the bootloader  on the install CD
       > boot    cd:,\ofwboot.xcf    hd:,7/netbsd

### The system boots into single-user mode with a "dumb" terminal, so I'm
having a hard time doing anything
       -The system boots and gives the following messages
               /etc/rc is not configured.  Multi-user aborted
Warning about setting an account and using su instead of working in root
               No entry for terminal type "dumb";
               Using dumb terminal settings

TERM=xterm
export TERM
vi /etc/rc.conf

       - The system mounts as read-only.
               -  Tried this command but it didn't work
# mount -u / mount_ffs : /dev/md0a on / type ffs readonly, local

mount -rw /

               - So I tried this - and it did seem to work
                       # umount    /dev/md0a
                       # mount    /dev/wd0a   /
- (btw, I have no idea what "md0" is so I don't know what I unmonted :P )

Looks like you booted the install kernel which comes with a ramdisk.

### My ultimate goal is to try to "install" ofwboot and ofwboot.xcf by copying them to an HFS partition (then I can boot into Mac OS 9 via CD and copy them from there to the HFS+ boot partition ( but I don't know if there is a better, easier, way)

You can use a DOS partition instead, NetBSD can read and write those, unlike HFS+. As far as I know all versions of OpenFirmware Apple ever came up with can read DOS partitions.

- I believe that I read that HFS+ is not recognizable by BSD, but that HFS
                can be used to transfer files

We have read-only support for HFS+, there are userland tools to deal with HFS.

have fun
Michael