Re: Kernel crash with xf86-video-ati-6.8.0 on -current

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 06:14:42AM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:11:29PM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> >> Weird. All genfb does when switching back to WSDISPLAYIO_MODE_EMUL is
> >> to redraw the console. Could you please have a look at your Xorg.
> >> 0.log and check if X changed any BARs?
> >
> > What would that look like in the log?  (no idea what a BAR is)
>
> PCI devices have registers that contain base addresses for the card's
> memory or IO resources. These registers are known as Base Address
> Registers, or BARs. You can look at them using pcictl and X will also
> dump them in its log. What I'd like you to do is to use pcictl to
> look up which memory ranges your graphics card uses and then compare
> that to what Xorg uses.

It looks like it's using the right framebuffer address. (remember, it's
the same address as the working X is using, except for the extra leading
zeroes)

> > I don't know a lot about this stuff, but one thing looks interesting:
> > The broken one finds a Linear framebuffer at 0x0000000098000000 while
> > the working one finds the framebuffer at 0x98000000.
>
> So one added support for 64bit PCI addresses. Not relevant for any
> Mac we support right now but the right typo at the wrong place might
> screw things up.
> Did you get any compiler warnings when building the driver? I
> wouldn't be surprised if the driver implicitly assumes little endian
> 64bit types.

I rebuilt and it seems only to emit warnings about printf formats that are
wrong:
atidri.c:1031: warning: format '%08x' expects type 'unsigned int', but argument
4 has type 'drm_handle_t'
This would explain the 0x000000098000000 showing up but it doesn't look
like a serious problem (it's just presentation).

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx