Port-mac68k archive

Re: nfsrooting

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 08:12:19AM +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 12:05:12 -0800, Rob Braun wrote:
> > Currently, the mac68k booter allows specifying the ata or scsi
> > device to root from, and passes that to the kernel, which the kernel
> > then uses.  So, in mac68k, the kernel will only root from one of those.
>
> That appears to be not correct, from what I can piece together from
> both my server and my memory:
>
> Said doorstop netbsd-5 kernel (the netboot setup is from 2012) is a
> plain GENERICSBC kernel, and
>
> options    NFS_BOOT_DHCP
>
> which is active in GENERIC should be all that's needed to boot from NFS
> - unless there is a workable local root fs, I guess, in which case
> you'd need to declare
>
> config             netbsd  root on ? type nfs

Do you mean unchecking the "Enabled" option in the booter, which will
not set a root device, then not have any local filesystems, and
allowing the kernel to try network interfaces until it finds something?

IMO, there's a difference between wanting to root off nfs, and
wanting to kernel to root off the first device it finds.

The problem here from my perspective is most other ports allow
specifying root=, where the mac68k booter is limited to a
set of radio buttons to choose between ata and scsi.

Rob