Port-mac68k archive

Re: nfsrooting

On Mon, 6 Feb 2017 12:05:12 -0800, Rob Braun wrote:
> Currently, the mac68k booter allows specifying the ata or scsi
> device to root from, and passes that to the kernel, which the kernel
> then uses.  So, in mac68k, the kernel will only root from one of those.

That appears to be not correct, from what I can piece together from
both my server and my memory:

Said doorstop netbsd-5 kernel (the netboot setup is from 2012) is a
plain GENERICSBC kernel, and

options    NFS_BOOT_DHCP

which is active in GENERIC should be all that's needed to boot from NFS
- unless there is a workable local root fs, I guess, in which case
you'd need to declare

config             netbsd  root on ? type nfs

> The exception is that you can compile a custom kernel specifying a
> network interface as a root device and it'll then do all the rest.

No, see above.

> This just allows the booter to tell the kernel to use a network interface
> as a root device without building a custom kernel.

It'll do that anyway. The use I can see for your change, though:
Override booting from a local fs when the kernel is set up to use a
wildcard.

Cheerio,
hauke

--