Port-mac68k archive

Re: 6.1.4 running on a Performa 450 / LCIII

On 18 May 2014 13:37, Bjarne Bäckström <bjarne.backstrom%hjomail.se@localhost> wrote:
   Good day, is anybody still listening on this channel? I haven’t touched NetBSD since early 2010, when I stuffed ’everything' in boxes and moved to a new apartment. At that time I had tried vn 5<something> without much success. The other day I happened to stumble over the LCIII, and decided to see if I could run the latest and greatest of NetBSD on this machine.

   Installing via sysinst over ftp went very smooth (though it took about 7 hours to install pkgsrc), and after that the system was up and running in no time flat (give or take an hour or three).

   The most annoying thing so far is that makemandb will hog the processor for abt 45 minutes every time at startup, making the computer almost unusable during that time. Other than that, there doesn’t seem to be any problems — not that I have run any heavy smoke tests so far.

Once makemandb has completed a run it shouldn't really use any more time next boot unless your manpages have changed. What size is your /var/db/man.db?
When its running is your machine paging? - run 'vmstat 5' and se if the 'po' column has consistent non zero numbers.

When its finished running you might want to try as root running 'makemandb -v' and see if it completes - a sample run on my (non m68k box :) is below:

Building temporary file cache
Performing index update
Parsing: /usr/pkg/man/man1/rename.1
makemandb: Error in indexing /usr/pkg/man/man1/rename.1
Parsing: /usr/pkg/man/man1/joe.1
Total Number of new or updated pages encountered = 3
Total number of (hard or symbolic) links found = 1
Total number of pages that were successfully indexed/updated = 1
Total number of pages that could not be indexed due to errors = 2
Deleting stale index entries

   X forwarding works fine with the ’standard’ installation, though it would be nice to have color X. Would the ole, trusted color X server from 1.6.2 still run on this system?

It would be nice to get the colo(u)r code merged into the current tree - does anyone have the source to hand?