Port-mac68k archive

Re: Quadra 700

Hi, Andrew,

   I finally got around today to installing four 4 Mbyte
SIMMs in my old Quadra 700, which I've kept around with the
intention of trying NetBSD/mac68k. The machine seems healthy
enough with the exception of the hard disk, which has
presumably siezed because of the long period of non-use.  I
understand that the internal drive much be a 3.5" 8-bit,
electrically single-ended SCSI disk (or something that can
"fall back" to operate that way).  What's the disk capacity
limit for a Quadra 700?  Am I right in thinking that I will
need to install something like System 7 on a small
partition, to boot from?

I've been using lots of Acard SCSI-IDE adapters and SCSI-SATA adapters in all of my older SCSI machines. There are no size limits until you get to 2 terabytes (32 bits worth of, or four billion, 512 byte blocks). I have several m68k Macs with 250 gig hard drives and at least one with a 500 gig.

A partition with a hundred megs of space is more than enough for System 7 and a bootloader plus a couple of emergency netbsd-INSTALL kernels.

John