Port-i386 archive

Re: Running Old a.out x86 Binaries on NetBSD

> On amd64 the compat_netbsd32 module autoloads and things just work. On
> i386, you need to manually modload exec_aout if it is not compiled in.
> When I modload exec_aout, things seems to work but sometimes I get
> the abort too. Seems that the sigcode allocation sometimes fails. I will
> track this down more. I also added compatibility for open and mmap on
> i386, but you need to build a kernel with COMPAT_10 enabled to get those.
> Also can you ktrace and kdump the a.out binary. The simplest way to get
> to the bottom of this is to compile a kernel with DEBUG_EXEC, and see
> which allocation failed (which is what I am planning to do when I get
> some spare time).
>
> christos

Okay, I verified that my kernel was compiled with COMPAT_10 and modstat
confirmed exec_aout loaded as a builtin module.  Below is the ktrace from
both ls and pwd.

kdump for 0.9 ls on CURRENT:

   386      1 ktrace   EMUL  "netbsd"
   386      1 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbfbffe27,0xbfbfed24,0xbfbfed30)
   386      1 ktrace   NAMI  "/mnt/bin/ls

kdump for 0.9 pwd on CURRENT:

   819      1 ktrace   EMUL  "netbsd"
   819      1 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbfbffe28,0xbfbfed28,0xbfbfed30)
   819      1 ktrace   NAMI  "/mnt/bin/pwd"

I'll try compiling with DEBUG_EXEC enabled and see if I can glean anything
further within the next few days.

Thanks again,

Dan