Port-i386 archive

Re: 80386 support

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Mouse wrote:
http://www.NetBSD.org/changes/changes-5.0.html#port-i386
Remove support for 80386 level CPUs. PR port-i386/36163. [ad 20071115]
nobody seems to care.

Someone cares (besides me, that is). Indeed, NetBSD might have lost a user over it.

Anybody who cares (and has the necessary time and skill) is welcome to pick up 80386 support again, but it should probably go into a different port, not the same port that currently supports 80486 and higher CPUs.

We do have a naming problem, in that the port whose name is "i386" no longer supports actual 80386 CPUs, so it's not clear what name should be used for a port with resurrected support for 80386, but I am sure that could be worked out.

--apb (Alan Barrett)