Port-i386 archive

Re: 80386 support

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 01:17:26AM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> > I think reintroduction of an 80386 port with the necessary
> > feature-stripping and minimization would be a good exercise, but it
> > could happen on just about any platform.  (vax, pmax, and various
> > 68k ports immediately come to mind.)
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about here.  Taken literally, it
> sounds as though you're suggesting reintroducing 80386 support on
> non-x86 ports, which strikes me as complete nonsense short of running
> a hardware emulator, so you are presumably speaking metaphorically in
> some way.

to clarify, the _exercise_ of feature-stripping and minimization could
occur on any platform.  An 80386-based PC hardly has a monopoly on being
a comparatively limited platform, although it does have its own set of
handicaps.

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost