Port-i386 archive

Re: PCMCIA/Cardbus not working with neither netbsd-5 nor netbsd6-beta

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 06:59:09 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> I would guess that this is your problem:
>
>   cbb0: bad Vcc request. sock_ctrl 0x700, sock_status 0x720
>   cbb0: disabling socket
>
> I had various issues with thinkpad 600 and 600E.  See cardbus(4) and
> try the FIXUP options, keeping in mind that kernel options may have
> shifted between when that was written and now.

The FIXUP options have been mentioned by the GENERAL kernel. Since they
weren't mentioned again on booting CARDBUS, I assumed they were all
"on", but I will check that, thank you.

> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2009/02/07/msg007872.html
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2001/10/03/0006.html
> bhttp://mail-index4.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2009/08/25/msg013050.html

I'll take a look at those threads, thanks

> I vaguely recall that some of the fixups avoid the 'bad vcc request'
> issue.

That would actually be great, if it would be that simple, yes ;)

> It would be good to try linux and freebsd and compare dmesg.

Since I have no idea of how freebsd works, etc., I'll give linux a
shot. Not that I like linux but much, but at least it's more familiar
than FreeBSD (or can it be easily compared with NetBSD? Have never
tried anything else, I have to admit :) )

>   vendor 0x1217 product 0x7110 (miscellaneous system) at pci0 dev 9
> function 2 not configured
>
> It's not clear what that is and if it matters.
>
> Are there two slots, or more?

Actually there's one cardbus-slot and an SD-card-reader, which I
believe is the other port. Sadly, I only have SDHC-cards, and they
don't work on this laptop - it's too old.

The not-configured card is the O2Micro OZ711Mx MemoryCardBus
Accelerator (got that from WinXP's Device-Manager).

Thanks for your help so far.

- Volkmar

--
http://www.dimensionv.de/