Port-i386 archive

Re: Multiboot header license change

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 04:55:47PM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:
> >
> >I'm thinking that provides a fresh workaround for the long-standing
> >bug on VIA ITX systems.  The old advice (use an old bootloader) is
> >getting trickier a it gets more and more outdated.  I know I had
> >plenty of issues getting this 5.0 system installed - from memory I
> >needed the bootblocks from 1.6 and the installer from 4.0 to install
> >5.0...
>
> EDEN/Samuel 2?
>
> dsl@ has just committed a fix for this. I aim to test a backport soon.

Nice one!  I had a play with this pulled from the daily build last
night.  I built a USB drive installer using boot, bootxx_ffsv1 and
mbr from the daily build and everything else simply copied over
from the 5.0-RELEASE installation CD.  No issues to report at all
- it simply works.  I haven't tried it on the hard drive since that
is a working system I'd rather leave alone.

In terms of a data point if that is useful this was on an EPIA
ME6000 board.

n2e$ dmesg|grep cpu
cpu0 at mainbus0: IDT/VIA 686-class, 599MHz, id 0x673

I can't tell you how pleased I am by this.  They're good little
boards for a certain class of problem and it's nice that they work
properly again.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews%sdf.lonestar.org@localhost