Port-i386 archive

Japanese Keyboard Layout in Console

Hi all,

I've installed NetBSD on a laptop with Japanese keyboard layout and now I encountered with some weird problems.

The keyboard of the box has 84 keys, which the manufacturer claims to conform OADG 106 standard. <PageUp>, <PageDown>,<Home>,<End> are bound to <Up>,<Down>,<Left>,<Right>, respectively, and triggered with <Fn> key. Keyboard encoding in wscons.conf was set to jp, and jp106 without additional rules in xorg.conf. Then I noticed some odd output.

In X window, nearly every output perfectly fits the keysyms except one key: <^/'upper dash'>. the shifted one ("upper dash") is output as tilde. Those conversion keys (henkan, muhenkan, hirakana/katakana) are also correctly recognized.

In console, however, <backspace> and <delete> act the same. <Home> <End>
<'upper dash'> all produce tilde while the actual <0/~> echoes only 0 but no tilde whether shifted or not. Moreover, while I can use <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Fx> to switch ttys, emacs in console mode failed to recognize <Alt> as Meta key so I was obliged to use <Esc> as Meta.

<'upper dash'> seems redundant and I do not really care it, but the synced <backspace> and <delete>, unrecognized <Alt> in emacs are pain in my ass. I guess this may be fixed by remapping my keyboard with proper scan code. Is there anyone who experienced similar problem? I would appreciate any hints or references.

Regards,
--
Hou, Ruoyu

Laboratory of Reproductive & Stem Cell Biology,
College of Life Science & Biotech.,
Shanghai Jiao Tong University,
Shanghai 200240, P.R.China.