Port-i386 archive

Re: NetBSD vs. FreeBSD

,--- You/Rhialto (Sun, 8 Feb 2009 21:22:23 +0100) ----*
| On Sun 08 Feb 2009 at 13:48:23 -0500, Alex Goncharov wrote:
| > * About four months ago `linux-flashplugin-9' was added to the ports
| >   tree -- and the sound of cheer was overwhelming :-)
|
| but since flash isn't really what you'd call open software, that
| won't work on my Alpha, my Amiga, my BeBox or my VAX. So it is a
| non-solution.

Tell me about it :-)

Before linux-flashplugin-9 I couldn't use such staple places as
`staples.com' -- I was actually thinking about using a computer
supplementing my FreeBSD boxes just to be able to meaningfully visit
Flash9 sites.

So, it *is* a solution for many folks -- not ideal and not for all,
perhaps.  As for "open", AFAIK, Adobe is ready to open the code of its
plugin to an OS professional who'd do a platform port, which is, for
end users, almost as good as "fully open source".

| Not that sites that rely on flash tend to have any serious
| information, only "content".

I hate hitting Flash sites, but that doesn't change the fact that
useful, sometimes necessary, information will be found there.

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov%comcast.net@localhost --