[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]
HP Jornada 728 for everyday life?
Hello @ all,
i've just subscribed to this list.
I'm about to buy an HP Jornada 728, planning to use it with NetBSD 5.0.
Well, i have to ask some questions before buying.
- How much extended battery life lasts? I red that batteries
allows up to 14 hours of life. Is this true ? If not, how much the
battery *really* lasts using it with NetBSD ?
Are suspend to disk and similar processes supported?
- What is better for battery life, microdrives os compact flash cards?
- I plan to use a 4 or 8 GB compact flash card. Will it be supported by the
- I've read that serial cable and IrDA port aren't currently supported
on the Jornada 728. Is that true ?
- Using wireless, are there any limitations? I plan to use it at home
(wpa/tkip pre shares key) and at school (open network! :-D), but not
only: can i do wireless sniffing, packet capturing and similar things
with a pcmcia wireless card?
- I thougt to use the 728 to connect to my home network sometimes,
using somthing as OpenVPN or Vtun, and to sync my data with rsync or
something similar. Do you think it is possible?
- Using OpenVPN or Vtun, i plan to mount a remote NFS resource (a shared
hard disk on my home server, about 250 GB). Would it be possible ?
- I think i'll use remote X client from my home net to enlight the load
on the 728. Do you think it is possible ?
- May I use GNU Emacs on the 728 or is it too heavy?
- How is APM/ACPI supported? What about standby and/or suspend to disk?
My dream is something with great battery life, something i can load
during the night and use all over the day.
- What about cryptography? I used to sign and sometimes encrypt my
email with GnuPG. Would it be too much slow on the 728?
Tha fact is: i don't really like the way the "nettop"concept is growing
up: eeePc, Acer One and similar, just crappy commercial shit.
Their price is high, performance is high, battery life is low.
I just want something to get connected (read and send my emails (with
mutt, using gnupg for privacy) and sometimes surf the web (with elinks
or if needed, with dillo and sometimes chat in IRC or play nethack and
connect home to see if it's all ok).
I want it to be very low price: i should not damn myself if someone
steal it, or if it breaks off.
May the HP Jornada 728 be good for this pruposes?
Thanks, and excuse me for the *LONG* e-mail.
Main Index |
Thread Index |